Site Safety During MGP Site Clean Up/Construction
Partners provided construction safety services for a gas and electric company conducting site remediation at a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) located in New York State (NYS). These activities were conducted under the tight scrutiny of the client, NYS Department of Environmental Compliance (DEC) and NYS Department of Health (DOH). The project included excavation and removal of contaminated surface and subsurface soil impacts from polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), benzene, heavy metals, etc. and disposal of soils at a NYS DEC-approved disposal facility, as well as restoration of the property along a waterway for designated use.
Partners’ services were conducted full time over the course of 18 months in 2015 and 2016. Our role at the site included:
- Implementation of the Site Specific Health and Safety Program (HASP).
- Daily site briefing/toolbox safety talk.
- Pre-Task Planning, Job Safety Analyses (JSAs) and Safety Walkthroughs.
- Air Monitoring (Volatile Organic Compounds [VOCs], benzene and dust).
- Accident Management (accident free for 18 months).
- Safety training for site employees and visitors.
- Support (of engineering firm) for Community Air Monitoring Program (CAMP).
- Site safety documentation.
Partners’ site safety officer was trained, as required, in both OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER and OSHA 30-hour construction safety. All site safety activities were supported by a staff Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and/or Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
© Copyright 2019, Partners